Friday, February 15, 2008

Praise God for Smart Men

I purchased a book a little over a year ago written by Richard B. Gaffin Jr., entitled Resurrection and Redemption. Not only did I think the book was about something different than what its true purpose was; I was also not prepared for the sheer academic and intellectual style of Dr. Gaffin that is far beyond my comprehending at times. This is a quote for any of you who are proud and think that you're smart. Be humbled by this mans brilliance and be grateful that God has given smart men like this to the church as a gift. This is only a footnote in the book.


There is no need to read out of the argument developed to this point any unbiblical qualification or relativizing of the perfections of Scripture (necessity, authority, clarity, sufficiency!). An analogy from differential calculus may help to make the basic points clear. Redemptive events constitute a function (f), the authentication and interpretation of the New Testament its first derivative (f') and the interpretation of the later church its second derivative (f"). F', to be sure, is of a different order than f", since the former, the infallible verbal revelation (Scripture) which has God as its primary author, is the basis (principium) of the latter. But both, as derivatives, have a common interpretative reference to f. Indeed, it may be said that at its level (characterized by fallibility and tentativeness) f" "goes beyond" f' by seeking to make more explicit the structure implicit to the latter.

In the above discussion, the redemptive-historical distinction between canonical and noncanonical, between the apostolic and postapostolic periods, is not being overlooked or obliterated. Rather, stress is being placed on some implications of the fact that in "church" "apostolic" and "postapostolic" have their common (redemptive-historical) denominator.

7 comments:

Christopher said...

Thats very interesting - I think I have heard that before, but haven't really put much thought into it. After reading it, I had several questions.

1) What is the third derivative?
2) What is he saying?

I'll put my answers in to my own questions - not sure if they are right or not..

2) First, I'll answer the second because it helps me think of the 1st. It seems to me that he is saying that 1)scripture interprets the facts of the gospel (resurrection events) and brings them to bear on our lives. We hear the word of God preached and the Holy Spirit cuts our hearts to believe the resurrection events and then we believe, and 2) the church (f'')is the main vehicle to preach the word (f'). The churches (f'') main responsibility is to interpret the resurrection (F) events and the implications of the resurrection on our lives. In addition, the church should seek to preach to the lost; to interpret (share) the event of the resurrection to the lost.

1) When I was thinking through the 3rd derivative (I have no clue why), I was thinking about evangelism. It seems that the first and second derivates are interpreting the events of the resurrection (unless I have no clue what I am saying). As individuals we should also interpret - or should I say tell - the events of the resurrection to this lost and dying world. So, I am saying Christians are the third derivate (yeah, that is probably heretical). Yes, Christians are the "church," but I think sometimes we can just cop out and say, "the church will do the work of spreading the gospel," and we just sit back and do nothing. As individuals in the church, we need to herald the gospel to our friends, co-workers, and whomever God gives us an opportunity with; we must explain the function - the resurrection.

We must seek to tell, teach, expound, reason with unbelievers about the events of the resurrection(read the book of Acts).

Seek to Pursue & Proclaim!

Rick Healey said...

Chris,

1) What do you do at work that you can writes such long posts.

2) I'm not really sure what you are saying but let me try to interpret it for you. He is saying that the events that occurred, Christ's life, etc. constitutes a function f. Scripture is derived from what actually happened, it tells the story of what Christ did, there for it is f'. For those who don't understand f' is a derivative of f, meaning it comes from it. Lastly, f" is the interpretation of scripture by the church today.

He then goes on to state that f", the interpretation of the church, is of a different order, or lower than scripture, f'. Because scripture, f', has God as it's author. Both, however, reference back to f, which is the redemptive events that actually took place. Gaffin then says that the interpretation of the church, f", actually makes redemptive events more clear, but he also notes the fallibility of the churches interpretation, f".

I have no idea where you got evangelism from, Chris. Also I hope this makes things more clear and not more confusing.

rick

Alex said...

I kinda like Chris's interpretation...

Rick Healey said...

It's pretty simple

f -Redemptive Events (history)
f'-Recorded Events (Scripture)
f"-Churches Interpretation (doctrine)

Christopher said...

f''' share the gospel; those events

Unknown said...

Chris, I think you need to take calculus class....

Unknown said...

I think the key to all this is: 1) What do you do at work that you can write such long posts.
2) I'm not really sure what you are saying
Sorry Chris, I could not stop laughing when I read that. I definitely followed Rick on this one.