Sunday, February 10, 2008

Graven in His Hands

Today I had the privilege of being at my home church. It's always so comforting and brings my heart to a place of peace and rest. One thing that we do at my church is testimony time. The pulpit is opened up to members of the congregation who want to quickly share a prayer request or glorify God for a particular way they've seen Him move in their life. The family of God is always so encouraging. One of the older guys shared a testimony today about a recent trial the Lord brought him through. There was one thing in particular he said that touched me. The Lord had been speaking to him that he was blessed by God. My friend was saying that often as Christians, we think that being blessed means having success in material things or relationships. "We are blessed because we are graven in the palms of His hands." That statement really sank into my soul today. Despite whatever ways the Lord is testing and trying me, whatever storms and waves may be crashing around me, I am still blessed because I am graven in the palms of my Savior.

1 comment:

Christopher said...

"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly." John 10:10

I think that is one of the scriptures where prosperity gospel preachers get some of their validation. BUT, they are grossly mistaken! Just as you said (or that man), we are blessed because we are saved; we are blessed because we are graven in His hands. Our life should be joyful - should be abundant, because we do not deserve salvation - yet we have received it.

What can I do but thank you
What can I do but give
My life to you
Hallelujah, hallelujah
What can I do but praise you
Every day make everything I do
A hallelujah, a hallelujah
Hallelujah

When I hear the story
Of a God of mercy
Who shared humanity
And suffered by our side
Of the cross they nailed you to
That could not hold you
Now you’re making all things new
By the power of your risen life