Thursday, February 7, 2008

All Due to Grace

This hymn has helped focus my heart on resting in grace alone--that I contributed nothing to my salvation--that it was the work of God alone who rescued me from my sin.

All that I was, my sin, my guilt,
My death, was all mine own;
All that I am, I owe to Thee,
My gracious God, alone.

The evil of my former state
Was mine, and only mine;
The good in which I now rejoice
Is Thine, and only Thine.

The darkness of my former state,
The bondage--all was mine;
The light of life in which I walk,
The liberty--is Thine.

Thy grace that made me feel my sin
It taught me to believe;
Then, in believing, peace I found,
And now I live, I live.

All that I am, e'en here on earth,
All that I hope to be,
When Jesus comes and glory dawns,
I owe it, Lord, to Thee

Horatius Bonar, 1856

2 comments:

Steve Praz said...

Great food for thought. I don't know about you, but I find that it can be very easy to take credit for my service or obedience. I would never say that out loud or accept that thought, but pride can easily creep in and start to claim responsibility for the growth in my life.

I pray that I would always remember that any positive change in our hearts is a result of God's free grace alone.

Alex said...

I really liked this. Thanks for posting it.