Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Resolving to Resolve

New Years seems like the distant past and I'm wondering how many people who made a New Year's resolution have actually kept them. For the record I am against New Year's resolutions. It's not because I think that resolutions are bad, in fact I think that we all should learn to make resolutions based on convictions and keep them. I just think that resolving to do something because it's a new year is a bad idea. If something in your life needs to change, man up, resolve to change it, and actually follow through. Here is the first of Jonathan Edwards resolutions:

1. Resolved, that I will do whatsoever I think to be most to God's glory, and my own good, profit and pleasure, in the whole of my duration, without any consideration of the time, whether now, or never so many myriads of ages hence. Resolved to do whatever I think to be my duty and most for the good and advantage of mankind in general. Resolved to do this, whatever difficulties I meet with, how many soever, and how great soever.
What I'm saying is that we should follow the example of Jonathan Edwards and resolve to make changes in our life based on Biblical convictions and keep them because it's ultimately for the glory of Christ. Lest we become like the man described in Proverbs 25:28, "A man without self-control is like a city broken into and left without walls."

Rick

2 comments:

Steve Praz said...

Good call. We should definitely be evaluating our lives regularly. And when we see issues or find convinction, by God's grace we need to seek to change. It doesn't matter what day of the year it is.

Christopher said...

http://theologica.blogspot.com/2007/12/new-years-resolutions-guest-post-by.html

I think it is helpful to periodically evaluate ourselves spiritually. In my opinion the New Year is an ideal time to do that. Yes, I agree, we shouldn't get caught up in this cultural phenomenon (read Powlison's post above)and just do it to do it - but I think it can be a helpful reminder to actually evaluate ourselves.