Thursday, January 31, 2008

I Am Not an Engineer

I am not an engineering student. Yet, I go to Drexel University. In fact, I am not studying a technical field at all, but am a lowly communication major. How in the world did I end up at a school known for its engineering and co-op program?

I could cite many earthly reasons as to why I ended up at Drexel. I could easily say I came because Drexel sent me mailings relentlessly from the time I took the PSATs my sophomore year of high school onward. I could say I came because my visit to Syracuse was rushed (and cold). I could say I came because of the school’s co-op program. I could even say I came simply because I like cities. You get the point.

Ultimately, however, God brought me to Drexel. God providentially brought me into a wonderful Christian community where I could grow, fellowship and mature in the faith.

Psalm 137:16 says, “In your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there were none of them.”

For a little while during my first year of college, I had doubts and wondered if I had made the wrong choice in going to Drexel. Now, however, I am forever grateful to God that He brought me to this campus and plugged me in at a wonderful church, so that I could become conformed more into the image of my Savior!

4 comments:

Steve Praz said...

You know, I always wanted to have either a t-shirt or a giant sign to carry around that said "Not an Engineer" when I was on campus. And I wanted it the most whenever four or five engineers were in the same room and started talking about TDEC or whatever.

But in all seriousness, I definitely agree with your thoughts. There were many reasons why I chose to go to Drexel over other schools. And along with those reasons came plans and expectations for what my time there would look like. But God was in it all, and he had plans for me that I could not have foreseen. I'm so thankful for the way he broke in on my life and plugged me into Cru and Cov Fel.

Alex said...

As an engineer, we try not to look down upon everyone else but that's no fun : )

I agree with your post. Don't know why I came to Drexel, but i'm certainly excited about what God has done, is doing and will continue to do.

William Mulgrew said...

As a history-politics major, I feel your pain :)

Ali said...

I also really wanted a t-shirt that said not an engineer!!

I am blessed looking back on my life and how God planned everything so perfectly - how he plugged me into Cru, where I met my life long friends (and future husband ;) I am grateful for how He used me and how I am impacting my own church