Thursday, July 3, 2008

Mike McKinley Is On Fire...Figuratively Speaking Of Course......And Some Apologies...

Dear Reginald,

My apologies for sending this to you so soon after my previous correspondence, but I thought that this next post from Mike McKinley on the 9Marks blog was interesting. It concerns the 4th of July in Church.

A quote for you:

I think in our culture the evangelical church (especially the Southern Baptists with our God and Country celebrations) is often synonymous with right-wing patriotism. So I think it doesn't serve the gospel well to make a big show of patriotism in our worship gatherings. My fear is that it will hurt the Christians ("I must be a good Christian, I am a patriot and have a yellow ribbon sticker on my car") and the non-Christians ("Being a Christian means being a good American").
I know that after not corresponding with you for such a long time, and then suddenly bombarding you with these messages, that you must feel quite confused. For that I apologize. I will attempt to be more consistent with my correspondence from this point forward, as long as nothing else distracts me.

Yours Sincerely With The Most Heartfelt of Thanks,
Jason

No comments: